Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Books still have their uses

I was looking through a copy of Informant* #9 covering the first half of 1970 yesterday and I found a neat little problem in the Combinations section, which I decided to post here.

So I hit my version of ChessBase and start looking for the game I. Zajcev - Storosenko, SSSR, 1970. The only problem is that I can't find a record of any such game or any such players. I looked for alternate spellings and searched by position, but it simply isn't in there. I imagine it was a game between a couple of amateurs that happened to catch someone's attention, got published in some Soviet magazine/paper/book, and from there found its way to the Yugoslav authors of the Informants. Thus paper not only beats rock, it also beats electronic database.

Here's the position:
I. Zajcev - Storosenko, SSSR
r1bq1r2/pppp1p2/k1n5/3NP3/6Q1/n1N5/P4PPP/2KR3R w - - 0 1

I'll put the solution, as provided by M. Judovic of Informator, in the comments.

*That's Sahovski Informator to you, Bub!

1 comment: