Friday, December 25, 2015

Position of the Day: Christmas edition!

Another one for the "books beat databases" files! The book this time is John Nunn's Chess Puzzle Book, which includes the following position which I cannot find in my database or in ChessGames.com online database: Kudriashov vs. I Ivanov, USSR 1979.

Kudriashov vs. I Ivanov, USSR 1979
Black to move
5rk1/PP4b1/3p2p1/3P4/1R2P2p/5pp1/4r3/R4NK1 b - - 0 1

Nunn calls the position "totally weird" and I'd be hard-pressed to disagree. I'll post the solution in a few days, but I've given the fen so you can plug it into a program if you like.

2 comments:

  1. I got this one pretty quickly, but I think I have seen it (or something like it) before. At least the idea was familiar to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's the thing: There are actually TWO solutions!

    ReplyDelete