Tuesday, January 16, 2018

A Gary Sanders Story

The Autumn edition of Florida Chess (the Florida Chess Association quarterly publication) contained a couple of articles about the death of Gary Sanders, who was the state chess champion on several occasions. I though I'd share the only story of Mr. Sanders I have.

Back in 1986 or 1987, I played in a tournament at the old Sheraton-Twin Towers Hotel. These days the hotel is known as the Doubletree By Hilton at the Entrance to Universal Orlando and sits across of Universal Studios Orlando. Back then, it looked like this

https://www.cardcow.com/images/set355/card00556_fr.jpg

and sat across Kirkman Road from a vast empty lot - which explains why it went into bankruptcy.

The tournament was most likely either the Region IV Championships held in June of 1986 or the $6,000 Southern Open held in January of 1987. It didn't occur to my 18 year-old self that I might be interested in the locations of these tournaments over 30 years later, or perhaps I just assumed I would remember.

It was probably the $6,000 Southern Open. I say that because the vast prize fund attracted not one but TWO internationally titled players to the region. And before you laugh at the vast sum comment, realize that $6,000 would translate into roughly $13,300 dollars today, which is in line with the $15,000 guaranteed that the Continental Chess Association is offering the 16th annual Southern Class Championships in March, and that will attract more than two internationally titled players! (To be fair, there are a lot more internationally titled players now than there were then, and many live here. Back then it was only a mostly-retired Arnold Denker.)

If my old Chess Life Magazines were more easily accessible, I'd dig them out and confirm which tournament it was.

The two titled players were IM Boris Kogan out of Georgia, and GM Roman Dzindzichashvili, out of a different Georgia entirely. Meeting them on the field of honor, as some dead players from the Nineteenth Century might put it, were many of Florida's strongest players, including Gary Sanders.

I'm fairly certain that Sanders was the highest rated actual Floridian at that time. Perhaps someone else can confirm this. Maybe Miles Ardaman was as strong. But if not the strongest player in the state, Sanders was certainly close to it. And there I saw him put on quite a show in speed chess.

Between rounds he had set up shop at a table either in or near the main playing hall, and had started playing speed chess against whoever wanted to play him. Eventually he was trashing other masters while giving time odds of five-minutes-to-three-minutes, and eventually five-to-two. Remember, this is with the old mechanical clocks, with actual hanging flags and everything, no increment, no delay, and no pretense of precision in those last few second. It was quite a sight to watch as a 1600 rated 18 year-old.

At some point this action caught the eye of Roman Dzindzichashvili. Dzindzi was a fantastic speed player, and I have read that he was also a gambling man. So naturally, he sat down to play Sanders. As I recall Dzindzi was giving Sanders time odds of either five-to-three or even five-to-two. And off they went! The rumor in the playing hall the next day was that the two of them stayed up all night playing blitz games, quite likely for money. I never heard who came out ahead, nor can I even confirm that the all-nighter took place. But lots of people in the playing hall believed it! And I can still see Dzindzi hunched over the board in his black leather jacket facing off against the immensity that was Gary Sanders.

Now I'm wondering if anyone else that was there can remember any of this, and perhaps confirm some of the rumored late night activities.

2 comments:

  1. I tool lessons from from Sandars for a few years. He taught me so much, but never actually played me. In my youth I worked as a security guard which allow me many hours of study. Gary taught me the Najorf. We studied this line over may months. One day a bought a book on the "Poisoned Pawn" variation and it just so happened I found a variation in this book that contradicted his lines. I asked him if we could play a game, with me as white, but he must follow his recommendations. He agreed. I spent the entire next week following every variation. It all depended upon him taking my queen for a bishop. If he did, it was almost a forced mate. But, it was very deep.
    He followed the variation exactly. We got to the exact position where he was to take my queen on C3. But, he paused. He stared at me. Then did not take my queen.
    My prep was now out the window and I was lost.
    After the game I showed him my prep. He had not scene all the moves, he just said he felt that my pressure was too strong.
    He saw my SEVEN DAYS of preparation in 10 seconds.
    My only reconciliation was that, after I showed him my prep, his eyes widened. He told me that I was play Master level chess.
    RIP Gary....I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete