Tuesday, May 1, 2018

Back in the Saddle

Sorry for the absence in recent months. My desktop computer died and took all my passwords with it. I am only now getting everything back into reasonable working order. I hope to resume blogging shortly.

However, here is something that will more than make up for it. Back in the early 1990s, Christopher Chabris, Timothy Hanke, and Patrick Wolff created and edited the American Chess Journal, "a unique quality paperback book/magazine hybrid featuring the best chess analysis, writing, and illustration in the world." Think of it as something like a precursor to American Chess Magazine.

I remember hearing about this at that time, but I never saw a copy, which may explain why they only published three issues, one in 1992, one in 1993, and a final issue in 1995. Fortunately for us, Christopher Chabris has made pdfs of those three issues available for free. He has also included several other articles that did not make the magazine, or that were published by their authors elsewhere. This can all be found at this link:

American Chess Journal, the Best Chess Analysis, Writing, and Illustration

But that's not all! The publishing house (that I presume they created) for the Journal, H3 Publications, also published a couple of books, Kasparov versus Anand: The Inside Story by two-time U.S. Champion Patrick Wolff and Man versus Machine: Kasparov versus Deep Blue by David Goodman and Raymond Keene, which have also been made available via pdf. Those can be downloaded from this link.

I have not looked at the books yet, but I have started reading the American Chess Journal issues. I hope to write more about them later, but for now I will say that the first two issues had high quality content, and I highly recommend them, especially as they are free.

Thank you Professor Chabris for making these available.

No comments:

Post a Comment