Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Clermont Chess Club December Unrated G15 Tournament Results

We've taken to running unrated tournaments on the first Thursday of every month. For the month of December we ran a G15 tournament with the unusual pairing method of 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc in the first round, and similarly in subsequent rounds. This is Rule Variation 29L1 in the USCF Official Rules of Chess, as discussed here in this earlier post by Paul.

Anyhow, the results are below. As the winner I think I played one good game, one adequate game, and one poor game that I won by luck. Unfortunately, I didn't write down any of my moves. Also unfortunately, I was coming down with a nasty lung infection which left me completely zombified for several days thereafter, so now if I fail to win in the future I can't use the excuse that I was sick, because I was sicker than I realized this time. So much for that excuse in the future!

Still it was fun. I'm not sure we've got an adequate sample size yet to opine on Rule Variation 29L1, but the results seem promising. At the very least everyone know coming out of the gate they'll get at least one game against a similarly rated opponent, and after that it's up to the player.

Note that the tournament is unrated, so the rating changes at the end will not actually occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment