Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Robert Hübner's Wet Blanket of Doom

I seem to recall once reading that Garry Kasparov considered Robert Hübner to be a Nihilist. It wasn't explained why Kasparov thought that, and I can't really say if he is or isn't as I don't know the man, but he's certainly a bit of a wet blanket. In the Lost in Translation post I mentioned Nunn's Convention for annotating endgames and I linked to a Wikipedia article that explains the convention. Underneath the section on the Nunn Convention is a section called "Hübner's approach". Here it is in it's entirety, emphasis added by me.
German grandmaster Robert Hübner prefers an even more specific and restrained use of move evaluation symbols: "I have attached question marks to the moves which change a winning position into a drawn game, or a drawn position into a losing one, according to my judgment; a move which changes a winning game into a losing one deserves two question marks ... I have distributed question marks in brackets to moves which are obviously inaccurate and significantly increase the difficulty of the player's task ... There are no exclamation marks, as they serve no useful purpose. The best move should be mentioned in the analysis in any case; an exclamation mark can only serve to indicate the personal excitement of the commentator."[5]
Harsh!

No comments:

Post a Comment