Saturday, March 26, 2016

USATS Round 2

Below is my second round game from the USATS. My first round game had been an utter disaster. I can't even say I played chess badly, as I just moved pieces around aimlessly and without thought. The only saving grace was that my opponent out-rated me by over 400 points, so the loss was easily the expected result.

But in round two I actually showed up and played with thought. Not always adequate thought, but thought nonetheless. I made two really bad moves in the game, and missed one good one, but otherwise I had a nice smooth win against a 1900+ player (who was only rated 1776 on the wall chart). My opponent had a good tournament result otherwise, including a win and a draw against a pair of 2100+ players.

I've got two positions I'd like to show before giving the rest of the game and notes.

Here's the first position.
Tony Burrus, 1914
Todd Durham, 1733

With the move I played 12 Na4. The move wasn't bad, though the follow-up was. However, here I should have played 12 h3. But I was worried about the line 12...Ne5 13 b3 hxg3 14 fxg3. I just didn't like having my king-side opened up like that. What I missed was that 14 f4! gives White a nice advantage. The positions after 12 h3 can get complex though, as the notes below will show. 
The second position didn't actually occur. In the endgame, when my opponent was already lost he made an error that eliminated all possibility of me throwing away the win. If my opponent had played 36...Ke6 instead of 36...e6, I would have had the chance to blow it a few moves in.

Tony Burrus, 1914
 
Todd Durham, 1733

White has four winning moves (42 bxc6, 42 Kb3, 42 Kb4, 42 Kc3), but if he's careless he can also screw up and draw. For example, 42 b6? e5! and now White simply can't break through. And 42 bxa6 also only draws after 42...e5! Worse still 42 Kd4 cxb5 43 axb5 axb5 even gives White the chance to lose unless he finds 44 c6, which is the only drawing move.

White is winning in the last diagram. But I'm a firm believer in making the other guy prove he knows what he's doing, and in giving him the opportunity to screw up. Given some of my careless moves in the tournament, I'm glad my opponent didn't give me the chance!


Now for the full game.

No comments:

Post a Comment