Friday, October 2, 2015

Games from the Clubhouse: Endgame Edition

A few months back Paul and I played a game that became a topic of lengthy debate afterwards, with Garry also contributing. At some point, the following position was reached, though I have no idea how we got here from the game.

Paul - Todd (analysis)
Black to move

We spent a lot of time looking at this particular position. I didn't try to recreate the analysis the night I put this in my database several months back, and I'm certainly not going to try to do so now. We eventually settled on 1 ... Qg5 as the best opening salvo for Black.

But then Paul ran it through Komodo 8 and "the cloud" for an entire night. The best move according to those worthies is 1 ... Qg7. White's problems are that Black's h-pawn is too fast, and if White removes the c5 pawn his own King becomes too exposed - and maybe even if White doesn't take the pawn. Evals ran from -1.50 to -1.80.

It seems like these kinds of very tricky/trappy complex endgames come up more often now in the games I see at my level than in the past. Perhaps it's merely a function of where & who I'm playing (and see play) these days, or maybe I'm just better at finding this stuff now. Still, I don't remember seeing so many complicated endgames in the past.

(Am I the only one that thinks of Aristophanes every time "the cloud" gets mentioned? Yes? Nevermind then.)

1 comment:

  1. I think endgames are a function of how much we improve. At lower levels games are decided by gross blunders- sometimes multiple gross blunders- in the middlegame or even opening.

    As we (and our opponents) get better, the mistakes become more refined and smaller in scope, and games last longer. It continues until one day we wake up in an endgame, and realize we have to get back to the books!

    ReplyDelete