Saturday, October 3, 2015

Hi all,

This is my first attempt at a blog post, so caveat emptor!

Today at the club, Connor and Thomas got into the following bishop ending (black to move):

8/5p1k/6pp/2b5/8/2BP2P1/5P1P/5K2 b - - 0 1

We all were pretty certain that white should win with an extra pawn with same-color bishops.  Two pawns are normally decisive, but one pawn can be problematic.  In this case, the extra pawn is passed, white's king is closer to the center, and white controls the long diagonal, In addition, white threatens to play g5, freezing black's h-pawn, The bottom line is that white should convert.

As I was thinking about the game, it reminded me of a game I played against Bruce Walther at the Orlando Autumn Open in 2012.  Bruce and I both assumed that the game was a draw after my 57th move, but subsequent analysis at home showed me that I missed a win due to very poor technique.  Despite the annoying draw, the lesson I learned from this game was very valuable, and it really helped improve my understanding of bishop endings.  For those who prefer to learn from other people's mistakes, here is a lesson from yours truly!

Bishop Ending Walther-Leggett, Orlando Autumn Open 2012

9 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anyone else having trouble viewing the diagram?

    And I'm happy to see Paul can get replayable games onto the blog. I think I've found another way to do it, but I'll test that out later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see it. Looks like this:

      XHGFEDCBAY
      1-+K+-+-+!
      2zP-zP-+-+-"
      3-zP-+PvL-+#
      4+-+-+-+-$
      5-+-+-vl-+%
      6zpp+-+-+-&
      7k+p+-+-+'
      8+-+-+-+-(
      xhgfedcbay

      Delete
    2. Now I see it perfectly. I was seeing what Thomas was seeing.

      Delete
  4. Is this the fen for the position?

    8/k1p5/pp6/5b2/8/1P2PB2/P1P5/2K5 b - - 0 1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I put this fen in chessbase, it is mirror-image of the correct one. Can you tell me how you format fen to put it in? I was using [fen] in front and [/fen] at the end, but it did not work here. Let me know and I will edit. Thanks!

      Delete
  5. Paul, I'm not sure what was going on, but you've got it fixed now. I've added the fen notation below the diagram, hope you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete