Monday, June 13, 2016

There's a reason they're called Grand Masters

I dropped in on the Orlando Sunshine Open on Saturday for the third round. After all my friends from the club were done, I decided to check the game of the lone grandmaster playing in the tournament, Sandro Pozo Vera. He was involved in a game with John Ludwig.

When I arrived the following position was on the board.

John Ludwig - Sandro Pozo Vera
Orlando Sunshine Open, 2016

White had the move, and a substantial time advantage - about 23 minutes to 5 minutes and change. I decided to watch the rest of the game, as the time scramble looked to be entertaining. White has a small material advantage, Black's knights are kind of locked to the protection of the c- and d-pawns which are shaky at best, Black's kingside pawns have advanced far enough to be weak, leaving the King vulnerable. To balance this, Black has the most mobile piece on the board, and every exchange will accentuate the queen's mobility - and White's king has back rank issues.

I haven't let my computer run too long on this position, but it seems to think White has a decent, but small advantage. Looking at this position I'd much rather play White, though, as Black's position just looks difficult to play for a human.

After 1. Bd3, Pozo Vera spent most of his remaining time coming up with 1... c4, leaving him with 1:22 to Ludwig's 22 minutes. Yowtch! It looked to be a bloodbath and a GM scalp for Ludwig. But at this point, Pozo Vera showed his stuff and lived up to his lofty title.

I have posted the remaining moves as I remember them. I remember most of it accurately, and have indicated where I am a little fuzzy. I haven't bothered to annotate the game, as anyone can plug it into a program of there choice to see the action. I have added notes giving a general impression of the action, and highlighting how the time was spent. It was a grand show, the players were under great stress, and the draw was all in all probably a just result. The two of them went on to share first place.

I'll also provide a fen for loading the game more quickly.

FEN "q6k/5p2/1n6/1Bpp2p1/4n2p/8/PP2NPPP/2R1R1K1 w - - 0 1"

No comments:

Post a Comment