Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Tournament Players PROTIP #5

The Dark Arts of The Dark Side: These are not the ProTips you are looking for....

Here's one from the Dark Side, pure gamesmanship to mess with an opponent's head.

Buy two identical sets of very heavily weighted pieces. Then remove the weights from one set. Use the weighted pieces for yourself, and give the opponent the light pieces. When he starts capturing your pieces he'll (subconsciously) realize just how solidly you've dug into your position, and his position will feel insubstantial by comparison.* It will plant the seeds of doubt in his head. And doubt leads to anger, and anger leads to hate, and hate leads to hanging pieces. (It goes something like that, I'm sure of it.)

Or you can give him a set of pieces some of which are weighted, and some aren't. Vary the weights of similar pieces, so that one knight is very heavy and the other feels like a feather. That won't even be too different from some of the sets I've seen in use since returning to tournament action.

Hmm, I'm starting to suspect some opponents of trying to mess with my head. Ha, joke's on them! I lost my mind years ago, so even if they get inside it, it's got nothing to do with me!

* Note: Some players prefer lighter pieces, so you'll need to reverse the weights in those cases. I'll not mention names ***cough*** Jim McTigue ***cough***

No comments:

Post a Comment