Thursday, July 28, 2016

Plans for upcoming local tournaments

As Paul has pointed out on the Facebook page, one day tournaments are being held in both Daytona and at UCF this weekend.

The UCF tourney is an Orlando Chess & Games affair – G29 / d5, 5 rounds, quick rated only. This one will cost $45 at the door, but I’ve heard a rumor that Alex Zelner will be bringing his books for sale to this one, if that's your bag. (That’s a rumor, I haven’t confirmed it. You can contact Steve or Alex to find out for certain.)

http://www.orlandochess.com/ocg-events/   (You’ll need to scroll down to see event details.)

The Daytona tourney is also five rounds, but it’s a G45 / d5 and counts for both quick and regular ratings. It’s only $30, but it’s all the way in Daytona. (From here in Pine Hills they aren’t too different in terms of time driving time. I have no idea what it’s like for points west.)


I’m wondering if anyone has any plans on going to either of these tournaments. I’m really hoping to play in one of them this weekend but haven’t made my mind up as to which, since they’ve both got some pluses and minuses. Knowing something about turnout might help.


Going forward, there’s a two day tournament in Ocala on August 13-14, the 2016 Ocala Summer Classic. The entry fee onsite is only $65, and less if you register beforehand. That one is a five round, G90 / d5, and I’m thinking that driving up Saturday morning and taking a round 1 bye makes that a very reasonable tournament. (There are several hotels nearby.) I’m also wondering who might be interested in that one.

Additionally, the CFCC has a one day 4SS, G75 / d5 tournament on August 20 at UCF.


This gets us to the big ones. Over Labor Day weekend we have the Florida State Championships over in Tampa. That’s six rounds over Saturday, Sunday & Monday. I’m wondering who is interested. I’m thinking that I’ll probably pass on that, as it looks to be out of my price range, but I am trying to gauge interest.

And later that month we’ll have the Southern ClassChampionships here in Orlando at the Wyndham. I am hoping to play that one, as not needing to rent a hotel room makes it much cheaper.

...

So, does anyone have any plans at this point, definite or provisional?

No comments:

Post a Comment