Monday, July 4, 2016

And now a game that just happens to be completely INSANE!

(Fans of Beavis & Butt-head will know the tone of voice I'm going for!)

I'm once again working my way through Lars Bo Hansen's book, Foundations of Chess Strategy. In the notes to the game Korchnoi-Kasparov, Lucerne (OL) 1982, Hansen mentions the rather insane game Hulak-Nunn, Toluca IZ 1982. About this game Hansen writes,
I refrain from trying to attach any signs or evaluations to this hyper-complicated outing....
He's not kidding! I'll post the whole game below (along with a few brief notes), but I want to call attention to one position in particular:

Hulak-Nunn, Toluca IZ 1982

Black has just played 32...R(a7)a8. As I looked at the position I started wondering why the sequence 33 Qh6 Rg8 34 Rf3, with the idea of Rf3-g3-g4-h4 wouldn't work. The best I came up with was 34...Qa1 35 Rg3 Bd4 36 Bxd4 Qxd4 37 Rg4 Ra1 38 Qxh7+ Kxh7 39 Rh4#

I'll leave it to the reader to figure out where I went wrong (several places, in fact), or you can check the notes below. The whole game is crazy, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment